Laser dentistry is a precise, effective way to perform dental procedure, especially for people who sometimes dread going to the dentist. The potential for laser dentistry to improve dental procedures and the anxiety surround them rests in the dentist’s ability to control both the power output and the duration of exposure to the gum tissue and tooth structure, allowing for treatment of a highly specific area of focus without damaging surrounding tissues.
If you consider yourself a somewhat anxious or scare patient, or you have avoided going to the dentist for years due to fear, City Square Dental is one of the few select practices that incorporates laser dentistry techniques into our practices and treatments.
Here are some of the basic benefits of laser dentistry:
- Reduces the need for stitches after soft tissue procedures
- Certain procedures will no longer require anesthesia
- Minimizes panic inducing bleeding due to the clotting power of the light beam
- Damage to surrounding tissue is lessened
- Wounds heal faster with this type of procedure
- The risk of bacterial infections are minimized
We have found that using laser dentistry has opened the doors for us to perform common and uncommon procedures in our offices, even some procedures that we wouldn’t have been able to perform just a few years ago.
Some of the capabilities with laser procedures are:
- Cavity detection – finds cavities even earlier by reading the tooth decay.
- Dental fillings – eliminates the need for anesthetics and the traditional drillings; also kills that bacteria located in the cavity, leading to tooth restoration.
- Tooth sensitivity – may be used to seal the openings to the root of the tooth which lead to heat and cold sensitivity.
- Gummy Smiles – improve the appearance of a smile with the laser reshaping the gum tissue to expose healthy tooth structures and even out smile.
- Dentures – improve the fit of dentures with the painless and suture-free removal of soft tissue folds.
- Muscle attachment – ideal treatment for children who are tongue tied or some with speech impediments.
- Tumor removal – can be used to remove benign tumors from gums, palate, sides of cheeks, and the lips.
- Cold sores – reduce the pain associated with chronic cold sores
- TMJ – Used to quickly reduce pain and inflammation associated with TMJ
- Tooth whitening – speed up the bleaching process used to whiten teeth.